When you first get a cat, it’s easy to forget all the things you’ll need to properly care for it. So here’s a simple checklist to help make this labor of love more love and less labor.
- A bowl for food (studies show that cats like to eat).
- A bowl for water (cats like cold, fresh water better than stale, warm water).
- Some cat food (see previously mentioned study).
- Grooming supplies (brush or comb, nail clipper).
- Interactive, stimulating toys (the more pounceable, the better).
- Scratching post (at least 3' high) or scratching pad.
- Cat carrier (useful for car trips to the vet or anywhere).
- Cat bed or box lined with blankets or towels.
- Safety collar with ID tag.
- A litter box (hooded for introverts, open for extroverts).
- A rug or tray to help keep the area outside the litter box neat.
- A slotted utensil you can use to scoop waste (bend at the knees).
- Plastic bags to put waste into for disposal in the trash.
- A clumping litter so waste can be easily scooped and removed.
Back to How-tos »