Cats preen like a bunch of divas, yet still manage to shed all over the furniture. You can help minimize shedding with a grooming routine that’s consistent and quick. Start grooming your cat when it’s young so it won't protest or fuss much (your cat may even grow to actually tolerate it).
- Comb or brush short-haired cats once a week.
- Comb or brush long-haired cats every other day.
- Check your cat's ears twice a month for dirt or wax buildup; but don't put anything into its ear canal.
- Trim your cat's nails monthly.
- Have its teeth examined by a vet at its annual checkup.
GROOM YOUR CAT BASED ON:
- Cat’s ability to groom itself.
- Length of cat’s hair.
- Amount of shedding.
- How enjoyable it is (for the cat).
Lastly, and most indelicately, remember that your cat’s rear needs some attention, too. Look for fleas, other parasites and any suspicious life forms.