Using litter isn’t exactly rocket surgery, but there are still a few things you should do (and not do) to get the best performance from your litter.
- Use a clumping litter (check with your vet if kittens are younger than 8 weeks).
- Scoop clumped waste out of the litter box daily and top off with fresh litter.
- Make sure the litter is always deep enough, usually 3-4 inches.
- Make sure there are enough litter boxes; one per cat and floor is recommended.
- Place litter boxes in a quiet place that’s convenient for both you and your cat.
- Use a rug or mat to catch any loose litter.
- Consult a vet if your cat stops using the litter box.
- Put the litter box in an open area where there’s a lot of activity.
- Change the location of the litter box frequently.
- Ignore changes in your cat’s litter box behavior.